- Visit the Markets+ Stakeholder page for events and materials related to the Markets+ stakeholder groups
- Markets+ Service Offering
- To receive emails related to Markets+ groups and task forces, subscribe to each group's exploder. For general Markets+ information, subscribe to the SPPMarkets+ Exploder on your account page. (Learn more about Exploders here.)
- Markets+ Introductory Training
The following are participants in Markets+ phase one development:
- Advanced Power Alliance
- American Clean Power Association
- Arizona Electric Power Cooperative, Inc.
- Arizona Public Service Company
- Black Hills Colorado Electric, LLC
- Black Hills Power, Inc.
- Bonneville Power Administration
- Chelan (PUD No.1 of Chelan County)
- Cheyenne Light, Fuel & Power Co.
- Clean Energy Buyers Association
- Colorado Independent Energy Association
- Grant County Public Utility District
- Interwest Energy Alliance
- Liberty Utilities (Calpeco Electric), LLC
- Municipal Energy Agency of Nebraska
- National Resource Defense Council
- Northwest Energy Coalition
- Northwest & Intermountain Power Producers Coalition
- NV Energy, Inc.
- Pattern Energy
- Powerex Corp.
- Public Generating Pool
- Public Power Council
- Public Service Company of Colorado
- PUD No. 2 of Grant County, Washington
- Puget Sound Energy
- Renewable Northwest Project
- Salt River Project
- Sierra Club
- Snohomish Public Utility
- Tacoma Power
- The Energy Authority
- Tucson Electric Power Company
- Western Energy Freedom Action
- Western Power Trading Forum
- Western Resource Advocates
Markets+ is more than just a day-ahead market offering. It’s a conceptual bundle of services proposed by SPP that would centralize day-ahead and real-time unit commitment and dispatch and pave the way for the reliable integration of a rapidly growing fleet of renewable generation.
Working together, we can develop a market design that goes beyond current imbalance market service offerings, enhances reliability, increases participant value, equitably compensates participants and incorporates their diverse perspectives.
SPP collaborated with hundreds of western stakeholders to develop the detailed Markets+ proposal. This document provides the governance structure, market design and other key features of Markets+ and includes stakeholder input from all virtual and in-person design sessions held in 2022.
The final service offering contemplates a two-phase process for the continuing development of Markets+. In phase one, potential participants and stakeholders financially committed to draft the market protocols, tariff and governing documents. Phase two begins upon Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approval of the Markets+ tariff. In this phase, SPP will acquire necessary software and hardware while participating entities fully commit to fund and are integrated into the system.
Markets+ has had a fully independent governance from day one, including oversight from SPP's independent board of directors and the Markets+ Independent Panel (MIP). For phase one, SPP is implementing the governance structure designed by the stakeholders and documented in the detailed Markets+ proposal. The governance includes the Markets+ State Committee (MSC), Markets+ Participants Executive Committee (MPEC) and working groups to refine design elements into protocol and tariff language. Since the MIP will not be part of phase one development, a three-person subcommittee of SPP board of directors is performing their functions of as the Interim Markets+ Independent Panel (IMIP).
Access Markets+ stakeholder group information, including meeting announcements, materials, and more at the links below. Members of the Markets+ State Committee will be selected after April 19, 2023.
During the development of the detailed Markets+ proposal, SPP formed design teams to address proposed design elements: Governance, transmission availability and market products/price formation. Consistent with SPP best practices, volunteers were selected to serve as stakeholder leads to be supported by SPP staff. You can find the detailed Markets+ proposal here.
To receive general Markets+ announcements, subscribe to the SPPMarkets+ notification list. To receive news about specific working groups and task forces, subscribe to that group's notification list on your account page. (Learn more about Exploders here.)
- Visit the Markets+ Stakeholder page for events and materials related to the Markets+ stakeholder groups.